Geofencing is still a very new advertising technology for many marketers. Below is a list of our top 5 most popular geofencing questions, answered.
- How many locations can I target? As many as you want. We’ve supported campaigns for just one location, and we’ve supported campaigns that included more than 100 locations. It all depends on the goal of the campaign.
- How big (or small) can my targeting radius be? Geofences can be as precise as a specific address or as large as a zipcode, or even a state. Typically, most marketers will want their geofences to be somewhere in the middle – not too little, but not too big. If your geofence is too small, not enough people will ever enter the geofence in order to be targeted. If the geofence is too big, then your ad won’t be relevant to most of the people in the geofenced area and therefore, your message loses relevance.
- Can I geofence any location? Generally, yes. We’ve successfully geofenced locations in all 50 states and in dozens of other countries around the world. We haven’t created any geofences in outer space, but it’s the 5-year plan.
- Can I layer on any additional targeting? Thumbvista’s capabilities include the ability to target specific demographics within a geofence. For example, if you only want to target women within a mile radius of a home furnishings store, then your ad would only appear on sites and apps mostly used by women. Contact us for a detailed list of targeting options beyond geofencing.
- Is geofencing more or less expensive than traditional advertising? This answer surprises many people, but our technology allows us to reach a very specific audience with minimal ad waste, therefore making it a much less expensive advertising solution. Unlike TV advertising, for example, it can cost thousands of dollars to create a 30-second commercial, and thousands more to purchase the air time. Radio and print advertising, while less expensive than TV, still come with a hefty price tag and very limited targeting or reporting capabilities. And compared to general digital advertising, geofencing is not only more affordable, but engagement is typically higher because the ad is more relevant to the audience being targeted.
Have more questions? Please contact us.